Hello, Members of the Bert Bowes School Community!
Bert Bowes Middle School has conducted a bi-annual Design Challenge for the past three years. The focus of these Design Challenges is to expose students to real-world problems as a means of explicitly teaching communication skills and creative/critical thinking. The Design Challenges also give students a chance to work in multi-grade groupings to try and find the solution through trial and error and collaboration.
This year we have expanded the focus of our Design Challenge to not only provide authentic learning experiences in the realm of design but also to work on building relationships within the greater community. The day is now called Community Day. There is tremendous value for our students on building a pathway between the school and community connections. We see the wealth of expertise from individuals, such as yourself within Fort St. John and would like to provide our students with authentic experiences and challenges. The other piece is intentional exposure to career pathways within the school setting.
We would like to invite you to bring your skills and experiences into Community Day. We would be looking for the following commitment:
- Friday, May 24, 2019: 9:00-12:00 pm
- Being the facilitator for 25 students with 1-2 teachers working with you as a support
- Coming in with a Design Problem that can be solved or worked on for 2 hours
- Any supplies needed to complete this problem. Supplies must allow for error
- Instruction must be minimal and the bulk of the 2-hour block is to allow the students to interact with the problem
If this is of interest to you, please contact Vice Principal, Jen Harrison by phone (250-794-7063) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org). We would like to thank you for your time, consideration, and care for our students.
The Bert Bowes Community Day Planning Group